I recently watched a video on How to Pass the K-1 Fiance(e) and Marriage Interviews and I must say I am impressed. The video is full of excellent information for international couples seeking a U.S. fiance visa, immigrant visa, or green card for a foreign national. Highlights of the topics covered include:
- Eligibility Requirements for the (1) K-1 fiance visa, (2) K-3 spouse visa, (3) immigrant visa for spouses, and (4) adjustment of status for spouses of U.S. citizens and U.S. Legal Permanent Residents.
- Three types of interviews – consular processing interviews for fiance, spouse, and immigrant visas; the USCIS marriage interview; and the fraud interview
- How to prepare for the interview, including what to bring and how to organize the documents
- What factors may lead to a fraud interview, what the fraud interview is like, and how to prepare for it
Here are some of the things I especially like about this video:
- Fiance and Marriage-Based Immigration Options Explained. Although the title focuses on the fiance and marriage interviews, the video first covers the eligibility requirements for the various options that a U.S. citizen or U.S. Legal Permanent Resident has for bringing his or her fiance or spouse to the U.S., or to apply for a green card for a spouse who is already living in the U.S. This means that the information in the video is relevant for couples who have not started the immigration petition process as well as those who have already filed the petition but have not yet had the interview. In fact, I recommend this video even for those couples who have obtained the green card for the foreign national spouse, but who will eventually have to appear before USCIS for the joint marriage interview in support of the I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions on the foreign national’s Residence.
- Information Offered in Several Languages. Immigration is a complex subject, and many people who must understand the rules and process do not speak English as their first language. The video offers subtitles in Spanish, Tagalog, Chinese, Thai, Russian, and Vietnamese.
- Mock (Sample) Interviews. Often it is easier to understand how to prepare for an interview by watching it acted out rather than merely hearing the interview described. In this video, a couple can notice the demeanor of the interviewing officer, how to organize and present documents and information, etc. in various “reenactments” of interviews.
- “Study Your Relationship” preparation is strongly encouraged. I always advise my clients to practice answering questions about each other’s family members, personal habits, educational and work background, etc. before the interview. I love the way the video encourages couples to “study their relationship” – with examples offered both by the narrator and in the mock interviews. One of the best (and funnies) tips from the video is for couples to each bring their set of house keys to the marriage interviews to prove they live together!
- Great checklists. The video features checklists of documents to bring, sample interview questions, and other additional information at the end which can be reviewed repeatedly to help the couple prepare for the interview.
FACT – by the time an applicant or couple is scheduled for the visa or green card interview, the couple has invested a lot of time and money. I highly recommend this video as an additional, yet important, investment in time and money to help prepare for the final step in the visa/green card petition process. The better prepared you are for the interview, the more you reduce the risk of denial and improve your odds at approval.
To order a copy of the video through Amazon.com, please click on the picture below. If you find the information in the video helpful, please return and post a comment for other couples, or send an email to the Law Office of Tanya M. Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org.