Warning: Spouse Visa and Marriage Abroad

Here’s something you should know when planning to marry a foreign national abroad and then apply for a spouse visa to bring him or her to the US: a spouse visa must be applied for at a US Consulate in the country where the marriage took place. This does not present a problem for the majority of couples, for the marriage abroad will usually take place in the foreign national’s home country. But for those planning “destination weddings” or for couples who are contemplating marriage in a country other than one in which the foreign national has his or her legal residence or citizenship, note that the foreign national spouse will have to return to that country for the visa application/interview. Something to keep in mind!